beginnings

Welcome back to every body and welcome to all the new MAPPers! It was great reading Adesolas post about beginnings and every bodies responses.

It made me realise, how talking about beginnings can bring people together. We all have experienced a variety of beginnings in our lives, so it is an experience every body can relate to. I like beginnings. I like when a new semester starts, as a teacher welcoming new students, that are anxious to get going, starting to discover them as dancers and people, but also as a student, being curious and excited myself.

Reflecting on the beginning of a performance I saw not so long ago, (as I commented on Adesolas blog), where the dancers started by coming in one by one and either sitting or standing at the front of the stage and just looking at the public. It made me realise, how great it can be to take time, when you begin something new. Just to connect with the work ahead and the people involved.
When I start an education school project, I usually feel a little bit nervous, there is so much information, that needs to be given and explained to the kids and you want to get up and start moving. But I feel I have to remind myself, that its good to take time, to just connect to the kids, allowing them also time to connect to the new situation, before rushing into the beginning of the project.

I am curious to know: what are your rituals when starting a new year/term/project? How do you connect with your students or your work? How do you feel about taking time?


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

being in a process

The Sunday discussion yesterday, focussed on refection and learning processes, but also on making connections, between modules and between l...