frameworks

It was great discussion this morning, we have talked about how we define framework and how frameworks are related to theories, how does theory affect frameworks and how does a framework influence the perception or emergence of theory.

The discussion, as well as carrying out the interviews for my Inquiry made me consider the role of frameworks in teaching dance (or any educational setting).

All around the world you can take ballet or contemporary or any other dance class. But will the ballet class be the same in China as it will be in Australia or Switzerland? Or even in the same country, some times even in the same school there will be completely different approaches to the same dance technique/style. What other factors besides sharing the same terminology for certain steps influence our frame, of how we see and experience for example ballet? Of how we teach it and how we learn (about) it? How do cultural, gender, political, personal life experiences and aesthetical factors influence our frame of what ballet is and on how we share it?

In an interview with a student last week I realised, that while during feedback sessions with students I often discuss physical, emotional and even every day aspects of their learning journey and training, I have never consciously thought about talking or asking them about their framework, on what ballet or what dance is for them. But the interview made me consider, what an important role frameworks actually play in a dancers training, as it will strongly depend on your framework what you will  take or learn from the class. What things you will "hear".

I am really interested to look further into that topic, as it seems fascinating to me and opens so many new questions.


5 Kommentare:

  1. Your right Agata. Each persons framework is different. I also think that our framework can change from class to class each week depending on how we are feeling? As you say, it will depend on what we choose to hear. I think that by listening and extending our knowledge in our chosen subject our framework will get larger. That's why I think its amazing to hear about other peoples experiences and reflections. Thank you

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Debbie, thank you for your comment and yes I agree hearing about other peoples experiences opens up your own frame work, that is also what I like about this course, so many different people sharing their experience and thoughts.

      Löschen
  2. Dear Agata, I really enjoyed your blog, I bet it would be interesting to interview a child then interview them 15 years later with all the cultural factors included. Not dance related but we have programme called Seven Up! Here in the UK. My husband’s work college was in the programme and it explored his journey of being a black child in the UK in the 1960’s. This is a continuous study and they film and catch up (I think they are up to age 56). There might be some interesting facts or finds in there maybe :)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Jade, the Seven Up! sounds really interesting, I will try and look it up, thank you! And yes, I think studies where you follow the same people over a longer period of time, would be great and would probably give more insight, about someones learning process.

      Löschen
  3. Oh wow, great questions. I would love to share my experience moving to Costa Rica. I thought in the dance classroom I would find a familiar world. I did not. I actually suffered from severe culture shock. Students had not been exposed to world dance as I had- despite the advent of Youtube, social media and the internet in general. Students were not professionally oriented as I had been when I was a student, and that was a difficult adjustment for me. Especially facing absenteeism and students that would not appropriate themselves of their own training and development. They would see dance as a serious hobby, but not as I was used to back home in Washington DC

    AntwortenLöschen

being in a process

The Sunday discussion yesterday, focussed on refection and learning processes, but also on making connections, between modules and between l...