rewriting experience

Thoughts around todays am Skype discussion, have accompanied me through out the day.

We have talked about knowledge being something ongoing and fluid, not something static. We have also talked about revisiting situations with a new perspective, or as Mella put it rewriting experience. Which I found also very interesting during the process of writing my AOLs, depending on where I would put my focus, the "story" of my learning would be written differently. And Adesola said, she was interested in the "in-between bits". All of this has once again (it seems to happen quite often while engaging with this MA ;-), added another layer on my perception of what knowledge is to me.

What struck me most is, how MANY things knowledge can be and how many individual ways of constructing ones knowledge, there are. It seems to me like each person is weaving together his or her own fabric of knowledge, through out their lives. Each string connected and interweaved with another. Influenced by how we see the world, what our goals are, what society wants us to see or seek, what experiences we have had on our own learning journey and how we have dealt with it on an emotional, cognitive or physical level and the list could go on and on. But also the timing of when we are exposed to a certain experience or learning material can make a huge difference, of what we can "take" from it and some experiences don't make sense until much later, when they can be linked to something else, or when we are "ready" to take them in.

Thinking about what knowledge is, makes me feel at awe, its absolutely fascinating, but also overwhelming and intimidating at times. I also feel my whole concept of how I perceive, what teaching means, is shifting and transforming influenced by my perception of what knowledge is.
The student teacher relationship becomes much more intertwined. As two learning processes, that of teacher and student are happening and inspiring each other at the same time.


1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi Agata - really love how you've worded this - I especially liked the part about how sometimes we don't make sense of knowledge until we are 'ready' to have it. I'm sure we've all experienced that moment when something clicks we go 'Oh, that's what it means'. I would love to learn more about that 'click' or 'light bulb' moment - that second the experience/literature/practice makes a little more sense and we gain the knowledge from it.

    I think its a humble thing to say knowledge can be overwhelming and intimidating - its so vast, and if we become slightly arrogant and think we 'know it all' that's when I think those gaps in our knowledge become more apparent. You seem to have a great way of looking at it, almost like you respect the vast amount of knowledge and its complexity that is available to us, and that it is constantly growing and changing. :)

    AntwortenLöschen

being in a process

The Sunday discussion yesterday, focussed on refection and learning processes, but also on making connections, between modules and between l...