translating

In today Skype session, we talked about our Review of Prior Learning. When Adesola explained that a big part of Module One and the Review of Prior Learning is about translating our Practice or our Experience into academic language, it made me reflect on the role that the act of translating plays in learning, but also in our every day teaching practice.

Translation is not only a one to one conversion of something to another form or language, according to Temple and Young (Temple and Young 2014) with each act of translation there is inevitably also an act of interpretation. (So the translator is an active part of the process of translating.)

Working on the AOLs and trying to translate some of my learning from experience into words, I realise how many interpretational possibilities there are and how they shift, with each new piece of information. Reading, talking or listening to some body, or watching some body dance, all opens a new way of looking at things, a new frame of reference, which will then influence upon the translation. So the act of translating itself can be a useful tool to stimulate learning.

I often feel, when I have attended a great workshop or lecture, or have been part of an inspiring discussion, that I learn something from that experience, but then when I have to "translate" it into practice, implementing it in class, making it accessible to my students, there is actually even more learning happening, or more depth added to my learning experience and understanding, through going through the process of translating it. Especially, when you want to share it with different groups of people (adult learners vs. children or professionals).

Starting this MAPPjourney, I was struggling with the relationship between theory and practice, in my mind they were two separate things, todays Skype Session made me realise, that through the process of translation I can weave them together, making them feed into each other. It offers you the possibility to learn by translating your practice into academic language, but also by translating academic knowledge back into your practice.


2 Kommentare:

  1. I think that not only does translation inspire learning, it also highlights areas in which we think we've learned but really haven't. In literal translation, I find that I think I understand some concept (I'm learning French right now) but it's pretty obvious when I start using the concept or word where the gaps are in my learning. Same for dance concepts... once I start applying it to teaching, it's clear where I need to process it through more fully.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dear Hannah, yes I absolutely agree, translation does highlight areas, where you think you know, but then are lost for words, when it comes to translating it. I feel that way often, working on the AOLs, something makes sense, when you hear or read it and then putting it into words you realise, that its not as clear as you thought it would be...

    AntwortenLöschen

being in a process

The Sunday discussion yesterday, focussed on refection and learning processes, but also on making connections, between modules and between l...